Ingredients for 4 servings
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 strips of turkey bacon chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 very large bunch collard greens stemmed and sliced into bite size strips
- 1 cup low sodium chicken stock plus extra if needed
- 3 Tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
1Heat the oil on medium heat in a medium size sauce pan. Add the bacon and saute for a few minutes or until starting to crisp, then set aside on paper towels, leaving the oil in the pan.
2Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add the collard greens and cook until they begin to wilt.
3Pour in the stock, vinegar, sugar and pepper. Cover and lower the heat to a simmer. Let cook until the greens are tender, about 40 minutes.
4Uncover, add the bacon, raise the heat to medium-high, and reduce the liquid until there is barely any left. Season with salt if necessary.