Ingredients for 6 servings
- 2 tsp organic unsalted butter, room temperature
- 10 slices day-old whole-grain bread (about 10 oz)
- 5 large eggs
- Zest and juice of 1 large navel orange
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 5 tbsp pure maple syrup, divided
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 4 1-oz slices all-natural turkey bacon, no added nitrates or nitrites, cut into 1/2-inch strips
Nutrition FactsView Info +
1Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch square baking dish with butter. Rip bread slices into bite-size pieces and place in dish. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, orange zest and juice, milk, 3 tbsp maple syrup and vanilla. Pour egg mixture over bread and lightly press down with a spoon until bread is covered and beginning to soak up egg mixture. Bake until mixture springs back when pressed lightly, about 45 minutes.
2Meanwhile, mist a medium nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium-high. Add bacon and cook, stirring frequently, until crisp, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add 1 tbsp maple syrup and continue cooking until bacon is glazed and glossy looking, about 1 minute more.
3Top pudding with bacon. Brush or drizzle remaining 1 tbsp maple syrup over top.