Ingredients for 6-8 servings
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup whole grain farro
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped celery (2 stalks)
- 1 cup chopped carrots (2 medium)
- ½ cup finely chopped onion (1 medium)
- 3 slices turkey bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28 ounce can no salt added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 russet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 Parmesan cheese rind
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale, stemmed and chopped
- 1 15 ounce can white beans, rinsed and drained
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Nutrition TitleView Info +
1In a medium saucepan bring the water to boiling. Stir in farro. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes; drain.
2Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven heat oil over medium heat. Add celery, carrots, onion, turkey bacon, rosemary, and garlic. Cook about 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender and golden, stirring frequently. Stir in cooked farro, tomatoes, potato, and cheese rind. Add 6 cups broth. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until potato is tender. Stir in kale and beans. Simmer, covered, for 5 to 10 minutes more or until kale is tender.
3Remove and discard cheese rind. Season to taste with ground black pepper. If desired, top each serving with grated Parmesan cheese.